Explore Organisation Design to proactively inspire innovative approaches and ensure effectiveness across your organisation.
Successful Organisation Design makes a significant impact on performance, productivity and effectiveness. It is critical that people professionals align their design processes to their organisation’s business model to help it meet its strategic objectives and overcome challenges that may emerge.
This programme shares the tools you need to proactively navigate challenges brought about by a rapid change in systems or environment, such as employment regulations, advancing technologies, ever-increasing cost pressures and turbulent times.
This tailored digital course is a blend of virtual classroom and self-directed learning, facilitated by a leading organisation design practitioner. It was designed by leading Organisation Design expert, Jaimini Lakhani.
You’ll start by assessing the work that needs to be done to meet key organisational aspirations. Then, you’ll be shown how to design options for aligned organisational systems.
All CIPD Learning courses will automatically provide you with access to the CIPD Learning Hub, our online learning platform, for 24 months.
The hub will house your course content, as well as useful resources, tools, and a community of professionals that you can tap into to support your learning and continual development.
In this programme, you will:
- explore what Organisation Design (ODS) is – and is not
- describe the relationship between Organisation Development (ODV), Change Management (CM) and Organisation Design (OD)
- describe the underpinning systems theory of organisation design
- become familiar with common systems models
- explain your role in the OD process
- explain four key influences on OD
- explain the value of using a model and methodology for design
- become more familiar with the Nadler and Tushman model and a 5-phase methodology
- explain the core elements and challenges of the Starting phase
- identify some strategies, methods and techniques for diagnosing the key issues
- recognise how to assess both transactional and transformational elements in an organisationD
- demonstrate your learning using the Case Study
- learn from others how they approached the task and why
- ask questions to further embed your learning
- learn how to focus on ideal workflows to map what activities are required
- explore why organisations cluster activities the benefits and pitfalls
- organise clusters of activities to form operating model options
- explain how the different and interdependent organisation structures foster or hinder good work
- explore why and how to test the structure options with linkages
- appreciate the value of a systematic and planned approach to implementation
- explain how to operationalise the high-level design by making connections to processes, systems, ways of working
- build a transition plan that keeps leaders and other stakeholders involved and engaged
- appreciate different techniques to sustain momentum through the transition
- explain the importance of closing and reviewing design outcomes
- explore techniques to continuously evolve and improve design performance.
Is this course right for me?
This course has been developed specifically for experienced organisational change professionals, business leaders and consultants who want to take their knowledge of organisation design to the next level. It will enable you explore a variety of Organisation Design models and how to use data to inform decisions and drive change within your organisation.
I want to put my team on this course
This course will boost your team’s ability to successfully respond to constant changes in business circumstances and/or achieve business objectives using Organisation Design techniques. They will be able to make informed decisions in relation to issues and articulate the case for change.
Your people will explore how to confidently plan an Organisation Design programme, including mobilising the right skills and applying techniques and tools to generate and maintain stakeholder buy in, embed the design, and measure and monitor progress.
If you are looking to place more than four learners onto this course, please contact us to discuss a team solution >
By the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- define how to diagnose whether Organisation Design is the optimal response to a change in business circumstances
- make informed decisions in relation to the organisation or business issue and articulate the case for change
- describe and plan an organisation design programme confidently, including mobilising the right skills, stakeholder input, and leveraging a variety of tools and techniques
- apply the techniques and tools learned in this course to generate and maintain stakeholder buy in, embed the design, and measure and monitor progress.
This course is delivered virtually over a 3 week period. Day one is a half day with 2 hours of facilitated online learning and day 2 & 3 have 8 hours of facilitated learning. An estimated 10 hours of self-directed learning is recommended for the duration of the course. The course will cover the following topics:
- Define and demystify Organisation Design
- Differentiating between Organisation Design, Organisation Development and Change Management
- Organisations as systems
- How to design
- Differentiate the systems models that underpin organisation design work and how to choose which best suits your context
- Analyse the Nadler and Tushman + 5 Phases approach
- Examine each of the steps required to complete a design intervention from diagnosis to transition
- Incorporate the relevant skills needed for project planning and implementation
- Communicate clearly to leaders and other stakeholders involved and engaged in the design and implementation
- Continuing the practical approach to design
- The importance of transitioning a design so that it is embedded effectively into ways of working
- Application of the skills, tools and techniques to maintain momentum.
This programme has three elements. You’ll learn through a facilitated virtual programme and be encouraged to work in groups to practice and embed the learning using a relevant case study. Plus, you’ll be provided with a workbook featuring insights from the virtual classroom sessions and a case study. You’ll receive a Certificate of Completion at the end of the course.