Strategic Workforce Planning Programme
Plan for future workforce requirements and explore how alignment between business processes and people strategy is key to achieving business goals.
This course will explore the stages of strategic workforce planning and how to plan and apply the process to make informed decisions.
This evidenced-based course is delivered by leading experts in strategic workforce planning and aligns to the CIPD Profession Map. You’ll be provided with case study examples of how strategic workforce planning models work in practice to help you apply the process into your own workplace setting.
On completion, you’ll be able to confidently forecast your supply of talent and understand how to segment data to inform talent decisions. You’ll understand and apply the benefits of gap analysis and scenario planning to close the gap between the availability of workers and your organisation’s need.
All CIPD Learning courses will automatically provide you with access to the CIPD Learning Hub, our online learning platform, for 24 months.
The hub will house your course content, as well as useful resources, tools, and a community of professionals that you can tap into to support your learning and continual development.
In this course you will:
- appreciate the insights that can be drawn from strategic workforce planning
- be able to baseline your organisation
- know how to model and forecast changes to supply and demand and conduct a gap analysis
- be able to create and execute an action plan to deliver the right workforce.
Is this course right for me?
If you’re a people professional with an existing understanding of the concept of workforce planning and/or want to enhance your expertise to a strategic level within your organisation, then this course is for you.
I want to put my team on this course
Increase your people function’s strategic workforce planning expertise and practical know-how. Provide your people professionals with the tools they need, including how to use data and insight to inform talent decisions, effectively forecast demand, work with key stakeholders and implement strategic workforce planning in an agile way. This will ensure your organisation can achieve its strategic business goals.
If you are looking to place more than four learners onto this course, please contact us to discuss a team solution >
By the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- develop your business acumen of the wider business context within which you operate
- appreciate modern business models and trends exploring the importance of alignment of the business strategy with your workforce plans
- apply elements of influencing to all stakeholder engagement
- know where to find and use people analytics in workforce planning as a way to use data and information to create insight
- forecast your supply of talent and understand how to segment data to inform talent decisions
- effectively use qualitative and quantitative methods of demand forecasting
- apply the benefits of gap analysis and scenario planning to close the gap between the availability of workers and the business need
- learn how to pull the five talent management levers to make change happen
- take an agile approach to planning and how to start your action plans.
This course is delivered virtually over a 4 week period. Each day has 4 hours of facilitated online learning and a week apart to help retention and application of what is covered. An estimated 10 hours of self-directed learning is recommended for the duration of the course.
The course will cover the following topics:
- Introduction to the Strategic Workforce Planning Programme
- Business acumen, corporate strategies and SWP
- Stakeholder management and valuing people
- The importance of data and assumptions in SWP
- People Analytics to create insights
- Workforce segmentation and Business critical Roles
- Internal and external Supply of talent
- Qualitative and quantitative Demand factors
- Gap analysis
- Workforce planning levers, cost benefit analysis, and demand optimisation
- Talent management
- Action and contingency planning and crafting the vision.
The course includes self-directed learning on executing the plan and adaptive planning. You’ll be encouraged to take part in peer learning and preparation work such as pre-reading, MOST Analysis exercise, SWP maturity questionnaire and data sets.
You will receive a Certificate of Completion once you have finished the course.